Mailing List Transition FAQ
Mailing Lists FAQ
Q: How to Request a New Mailing List?
A: Watch this Video.
- Go to lists.rpi.edu
- Click on “Rensselaer Union Lists” under Mailing List Domains.
- Login(top right) using your RPI email and password
- To request a mailing list, click on the “Create List” tab.
- For the list name, you can copy your current mailing list name.
- For example, if the list name is sysadmin then the mailing list will be firstname.lastname@example.org
- Choose a list type.
- The subject line should include the club and the name of the mailing list.
- The Topic section should be Clubs
- Under Topics please include the URL of the group page from CMS.
An example is below:
Q: Will I still be able to add RPI users from CMS?
A: Yes, adding and removing user will still be done through CMS. The mailing list will be linked to CMS, so when you remove someone from the CMS group, they will automatically be removed from the mailing list.
Q: Who will be approving the mailing lists?
A: The Rensselaer Union System Administrators will be approving all requests.
Q: Is there a limit on the number of people that can be added to a mailing list?
A: There is a limit, please check with the System Administrators.
Q: Can I request a mailing list using a non-RPI email account (i.e. gmail, yahoo, etc.)?
A: No, the System Administrators will only accept a request if it is made a by an RPI account.
Q: Do I need a group in CMS to have a mailing list?
A: Yes, a group must be created in order to request a mailing list on CMS.
To create a group on CMS:
- Go to cms.union.rpi.edu
- Login using your RCS username and password
- Click on the club you want to create a group for.
- Click on Add Group
- Enter a Group Name
- Click on the group name
- Add users by clicking on “Membership”, “Add Member”
Q: How can I add an external user to my mailing list?
A: External users will no longer be allowed to be added to a group on CMS. To add an external user, follow the steps below:
- Go to lists.rpi.edu
- Click on “Rensselaer Union Lists” under Mailing List Domains
- Login using your RPI email and password
- On the left hand side shows all the mailing lists you are a part of, click on the mailing list you want to modify(Note: You must be Admin)
- Click on Admin (left hand side).
- Click on “Manage Subscribers”
- Enter the email address in the “Add a user” area.